Words of Wisdom from Martin Luther King Jr.
Martin Luther King Jr. was a minister, father, civil rights leader and theologian. Today marks the celebration of his birthday, so we’ve put together a collection of top quotes from the man himself.
1. ‘Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.’
2. ‘We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.’
3. ‘Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.’
4. ‘The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.’
5. ‘We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.’
6. ‘Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.’
7. ‘Intelligence plus character—that is the goal of true education.’
8. ‘Injustice anywhere, is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an escapable net of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.’
9. If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, If you can't walk, then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.
10. ‘Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope.'